Dear Combo Breakers,
James Goddard here! First of all, on behalf of everyone who’s ever worked on Killer Instinct, I’d like to thank you, our community, for ten amazing years of KI. Your support has made it possible for us to keep KI going, and we’re proud to be here on the game’s 10th anniversary to give you an update that we hope will excite fans new and old.
For those of you who tuned in to Iron Galaxy’s 10th Anniversary developer stream earlier today, this will be a recap – but here are the full details on how we’ll be consolidating and streamlining several versions of Killer Instinct to give everyone better access to legacy add-on content. (And if you couldn’t make it to the stream, here’s a link to the VOD!)
First, if you already own Premium Content (Fighters, skins, accessories, etc.) in Killer Instinct for Xbox/PC or Steam, you will still have that content unlocked in Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition. More information on this below under version upgrades.
Upon the release of our 10th Anniversary Update, there will be two versions of KI:
- The Killer Instinct Base Game will be FREE TO PLAY on all platforms: Xbox consoles (One, Series X|S), Windows PC, and Steam.
- The free KI base game will feature one free weekly rotating Fighter and Single-Player, Local, and Ranked modes.
- The Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition ($29.99 USD) will include all 29 Fighters, and all Premium Content ever released: the VIP Double XP Booster, holiday accessories, and more.
In short, we’re upgrading all versions of Killer Instinct to the Anniversary Edition. Here’s what this means for version upgrades:
- On Xbox consoles and Windows PC:
- Killer Instinct Definitive Edition will be retired from the store and replaced by Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition. All purchased Definitive Editions will be upgraded to the Anniversary Edition for free.
- The following Mature-rated content included in KI Definitive Edition will NOT be included in the Anniversary Edition:
- Definitive Edition App (featuring developer interviews, concept art, Killer Cuts soundtrack)
- Xbox KI Classic 1 & 2
- But DON’T WORRY! If you already own Killer Instinct Definitive Edition digitally, you will still be able to download the above content even after the Definitive Edition is retired.
- On Steam:
- The current purchase-only Steam version of Killer Instinct will be replaced by Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition. All purchased Steam versions of Killer Instinct will be upgraded to the Anniversary Edition for free.
- Additionally, the Permanent VIP Double XP Booster and Gargos’ Golden God and Argent Shroud colors will be available on Steam for the first time as part of the Anniversary Edition.
We are also retiring all a la carte purchasing of individual Fighters and various Editions. Remember: Anything you’ve previously purchased will remain in your library, and you will still have access to it.
We realize this is a lot of information, so if you have any questions about what this means for your version of KI, please reach out to us on our forums, or on Twitter/X or Facebook. This update is in final testing right now, and we’ll announce the release date as soon as possible – we’re just being extra cautious in order to give you a high-quality release. You can read the patch notes for the Anniversary Edition here.
Thanks again to all of you for making this a 10th anniversary worth celebrating!